A quick and easy recipe. Made with the wonderful new Barenaked Noodles I found in the supermarket. Change the measurements to suit personal taste e.g amount of chillies.
- 600ml fish stock
- 1 packet of ready cooked king prawns
- 1 packet of barenaked noodles
- 2 eggs
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- peeled and sliced fresh root ginger
- trimmed spring onions
- chopped chilli
- 3 tablespoons asian fish sauce
- tenderstem broccoli
- asparagus tips
- 100g bean sprouts
- 1 stick lemon grass
- 4 star anise pods
- 1/2 stick of cinnamon
- handful of freshly chopped coriander
- handful of freshly chopped mint leaves
- 1 lime cut into wedges for juice
1. Pour the fish stock into a pan, add the lemongrass and ginger (crush both with the side of a knife to release the flavours), garlic and most of the chopped chilli and boil for 15 minutes to create the broth. Turn down the heat to medium and cover the pan for another 15 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
2. Add the prawns to the soup and add the fish sauce, most of the spring onions, coriander and mint (save some for garnishing) and leave to simmer on a low heat with the lid on the pan.
3. In a pan of boiling water cook the broccoli and asparagus for 8 minutes, adding the beansprouts and Barenaked Noodles for the last 2-3 minutes. Whilst the noodles and vegetables are cooking add the eggs to the soup broth and leave to poach. Drain the vegetables and noodles and add them to the soup once the eggs white is cooked.
4. Divide the noodles and soup between two bowls, try and remove the lemongrass, ginger, cinnamon and star anise pods from the pan. Warn whoever is about to eat that they should be careful not to eat any of the above.
5. Garnish with the remaining spring onions, coriander, mint and chilli.
6. Squeeze lime wedges over the dish.
"Taking a greater interest in health and fitness has changed my life for the better. I have come to learn that there are no shortcuts to health and fitness.
I wanted to create The Hunger Gains as a medium to share any useful knowledge on fitness and nutrition that I have come across or used. I post workouts, tasty recipes, healthy tips and links to other pages that I’ve found interesting."