Delicious & Nutritious pancakes that can be taken with you anywhere as protein 'bites' that will fill you up and repair your muscles post-workout.
Buckwheat is a fruit seed related to rhubarb and not a grain, making it great if you find it difficult digesting wheat. It is loaded with flavonoids which act as antioxidants enhancing the effect of vitamin C. These protein bites are cooked with manuka honey which acts as a anti-inflammatory and aids digestion, plus it tastes amazing!
Do they have a high carb content?
These are not a 'low-carb' option but there's a reason why... after training your glycogen stores are depleted meaning blood sugar will be low. If you only have a protein shake as your post-workout snack - your body will be forced to use protein as a 'fuel source' rather than for recovery purposes. When this happens you reduce the protein content which can be used for growth/repair and this is detrimental to recovery.
Personally within half an hour after training, I always eat some quick release sugars to bring my blood glucose back to normal before getting in a recovery meal. Having some protein bites handy is even better, as they contain natural sugars for immediate energy, protein to aid muscle repair and buckwheat for long lasting energy for at least an hour before you have a post-workout meal - this is particularly useful if travelling back from the gym with a lengthy commute. So give them a go and enjoy,
Time: 3 min per pancake
Ingredients (makes 3 medium pancakes / 30 'bites'):
- Raw buckwheat flour 100g
- Whey/casein protein 30g
- A medium banana
- Cacao nibs/powder 1 dessert spoon
- Honey (preferably manuka) 1 tsp.
- Water 150ml
- Flaxseed 1 dessert spoon (optional)
- Coconut Oil 1 tsp.
1. Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl adding the water last. Make sure to cut the banana into small pieces as they will be easier to mash.
2. With a fork mix the ingredients together whilst mashing the banana pieces as you go. You can use a blender but using a fork means the finished product is filled with 'chunky' pieces of banana which gives it a great texture! Heat some coconut oil up on a low heat and when it melts, add a third of the mixture carefully to the pan. After 2 minutes flip the pancake and cook for another minute.
3. Repeat with the next two pancakes and enjoy as a pancake with yoghurt & fruit or cut into squares to take with you to work!
Make your own honey & buckwheat bites and post to Instagram tagging @LetsTrain with the hashtag #proteinbites
Try out my Raw Energy balls recipe with chocolate and banana for another natural snack option - bursting with goodness!
Have a great day,