So its that time of year again - we have all been awoken to the Christmas spirit by John Lewis and the ever so premature Coca Cola advert. With that in mind and in an untimely manner, I decided to embrace the premature Christmas fashion and adapt a Christmas chocolate log (in November) into a healthy alternative. This was to be one we could all manufacture and digest with little guilt. Although it must be mentioned that I am absolutely in favour of indulging over Christmas, however I often feel I would not like to waste all my hard work because of a couple of Christmas treats, hence why I decided on this recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CAKE:
– 2 TBSP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
– 3 TBSP CHOCOLATE-FLAVORED BULKPOWDERS™ INFORMED WHEY® PROTEIN POWDER
– 2 EGG YOLKS
– 4 EGG WHITES
– 1/2 BANANA
– 1/4 TSP BAKING POWDER
– PINCH OF SALT
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
– 1 AVOCADO
– 1 TBSP COCOA
– 2 TBSP CHOCOLATE-FLAVORED PROTEIN POWDER
– 3 TBSP WATER
– 1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ICING:
– 1/2 BANANA
– 3 TBSP CHOCOLATE-FLAVORED PROTEIN POWDER
– 4 TBSP WATER
1. Begin by whipping all 4 of the egg whites together with 3 tbsp of protein power - adding a pinch of salt until stiff. Eventually the mix should triple in volume however this will take some time. I used an electric whisk, be patient it is vital that the mix almost solidifies.
2. In a separate bowl and with the 2 yolks of the remaining 4 eggs, beat until thick. Add roughly 1/2 a mashed banana and beat, then add the 2 tbsp flour and 1/4 tsp baking powder.
3. Carefully fold both the egg white and protein mix into the yolk banana flour mix. Ensure you mix them together gently, this is to trap extra air in the mix and break up existing air bubbles into smaller ones.
4. Next place a large piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet, pour the mix evenly onto the sheet. Pick it up if necessary and let it slide all over - you need an even layer.
5. Bake at 230 degrees Celsius (440 Fahrenheit), the cake bakes incredibly fast. I recommend no more than 8 minutes in a pre-heated oven. Keep an eye on it, as soon as it becomes golden you need to remove it. This is key - if you over cook, it will be a nightmare to roll.
6. Once you have removed the cake begin making the filling, nothing complicated just mix all the ingredients together into a paste and spread over the baked cake.
7. Once the mix is spread evenly, begin rolling the cake while it is still lukewarm. Be gentle as you roll removing the parchment paper using a spatula or simply your hands.
8. Continue by making the mix for the icing and spreading it all over the roll.
9. Place the whole thing for roughly 60 minutes in the freezer, this is necessary in ensuring it firms up and you are able to complete a clean slice when serving.
10. Finally for decoration and absolutely optional, sprinkle some caster sugar and cocoa on top, perhaps if you have them add some Christmas decorations, however try not to eat those.
Enjoy and if you do attempt this please share - we would love to see what you come up with!